This morning I read Psalm 141 and note the wise requests of David. Written during a time of distress, this psalm shows us David’s focus. I love the way David thinks of God. He asks God to do 10 things that we might also pray today:
- In verse 1, David asks for the Lord to come quickly and to hear him.
- In verse 2, David asks that his prayer is pleasing to God as an acceptable sacrifice.
- In verse 3, David asks that God would guard his speech.
- In verse 4, David asks that his heart not be drawn to what is evil.
- In verse 5, David asks for righteous men to correct him when he needs it.
- In verse 6, David asks that his words will prove correct in the face of evil.
- In verse 7, David asks that the wicked would understand their destiny.
- In verse 8, David asks for safety since his eyes are fixed on God.
- In verse 9, David asks that he not fall into any traps or snares
- In verse 10, David asks that the wicked instead will fall into these traps.
A psalm of David.
1 I call to you, Lord, come quickly to me;
hear me when I call to you.
2 May my prayer be set before you like incense;
may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.
3 Set a guard over my mouth, Lord;
keep watch over the door of my lips.
4 Do not let my heart be drawn to what is evil
so that I take part in wicked deeds
along with those who are evildoers;
do not let me eat their delicacies.
5 Let a righteous man strike me—that is a kindness;
let him rebuke me—that is oil on my head.
My head will not refuse it,
for my prayer will still be against the deeds of evildoers.
6 Their rulers will be thrown down from the cliffs,
and the wicked will learn that my words were well spoken.
7 They will say, “As one plows and breaks up the earth,
so our bones have been scattered at the mouth of the grave.”
8 But my eyes are fixed on you, Sovereign Lord;
in you I take refuge—do not give me over to death.
9 Keep me safe from the traps set by evildoers,
from the snares they have laid for me.
10 Let the wicked fall into their own nets,
while I pass by in safety.